January 22, 2009

A Librarian's Essential Accessories

Recent conversations with fellow librarians have driven home the fact that I am woefully unprepared, wardrobe-wise, to begin my career.

1. While I have managed to acquire glasses, what am I to do if my spectacles need a rest? I will need an eyeglasses retainer, just to be on the safe side:
2. With the variable indoor weather of many libraries, cardigans have become a mainstay of the librarian wardrobe. My current cardigan collection is inadequate, and who knows what future heating and cooling systems will throw my way. In a recent web search for proper attire, I came across this gem:
Ladies and gentlemen, the cardigan for dogs has finally arrived, and is available at the low low price of $49. I'll be stocking up on these soon, so that all my future (XX Small to Medium) pets can be appropriately outfitted. Remember, librarianship is not just a career, it's a lifestyle!

5 comments:

  1. What about eccentric earrings? I suppose those might just be for Youth Librarians, along with weird shades of lipstick and nail polish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. That glasses chain is serious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can wear capes instead of cardigans! Caplets, for when you want to be more informal.

    ReplyDelete